On People and Places we will be bringing you podcasts that cover a range of topics, these are once off interviews with people from all walks of life, anything, from a chat with a local farmer as we walk along a country road to interviews with people who are dedicated to their place whether that be a local historical site or a building and space that offer resources for the public. These are voices from Ireland and we do hope you enjoy listening to the stories.
- Inaugural Presidential Speech of Michael D Higgins On November 11th 2011 (11/11/11) Michael Daniel Higgins became the 9th President of The Republic of Ireland and we bring you a podcast of his inaugural speech. Following a morning of celebrations including music and prayer, Taoiseach Enda Kenny TD invited The Chief Justice of Ireland to swear in the latest occupant of Aras an Uachtaráin. Following ...
- Culfadda Garden of Music and Memory Irish dance sensation Michael Flatley proved his skills as a flautist as he launched the new Garden of Music and Memory in Culfadda, County Sligo on June 14th 2010. Podcasts.ie were there to capture the moment.
- Mayo Peace Park In this podcast Michael Feeney MBE Chairman and Founder of The Mayo Peace Park gives us a tour of this special Garden of Remembrance and the history of conflicts that are remembered here.
- Titanic Bell Ringing Ceremony 2010 There can be few people who don’t know the story of the sinking of The RMS Titanic on April 15th 1912. There are many myths and legends surrounding the events of that day but one true story that few people are aware of is the fact that 14 people from the tiny parish of Addergoole ...
- Handel’s Messiah Concert, Fishamble Street, April 13th 2010. We are delighted to have a unique recording of the annual performance of Handel’s Messiah – This event was recorded on Fishamble Street in Dublin on the 13th of April, 2010.
- Art Ó Súilleabháin and Bladair As we are in Seachtain Na Gaelige, the Director of The Mayo Education Centre Art Ó Súilleabháin tells us about a brand new iniative for the Irish language called Bladair.
- Working at the War Memorial, Bray. In this sound file, Jho Harris talks with Paul and Chris two people maintaining the war memorial in Bray, Co. Wicklow – Click on the above link to listen to the file.
- The Irish Writers Centre Chairman of the Irish Writers Centre Jack Harte talks about the centre and its resource for Irish writers and audiences.